Pages

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Masking Technique

A quick tip for masking your stamps.

I  am sure you have all seen lots of tutorials on Pinterest and YouTube, showing various masking techniques.  But, did you know that lurking in your Close To My Heart Tool are two items you can use to make the masking technique even more successful.  The CTMH Bonding Memories Glue and Bonding Memories Broad Tipped Glue Pen can be used as Removable Adhesive. As you may or may not know, when the glue is applied it is wet and has a pale blue colour which dries clear to become a permanent adhesive.

However, if you apply the glue and set it aside to dry (making sure it does not touch another surface) it becomes the perfect removable adhesive for all your masking needs.  No need to buy expensive removable or re-positionable glue.

I am in the process of making up some Christmas Cards and decide to photograph the masking process. The Bonding Memories Glue worked perfectly. As I always like to do a stamping session first when I am working on a set of cards, I proceeded with more stamping whilst I waited for my mask to dry. That is the secret the mask should feel just tacky.

I stamped the main image twice (on my card base and on scrap paper)
I cut out the second image being most careful around the pointy bits where the other stamp would overlap. Applied the Bonding Memories Glue.  As I always like to do a stamping session first when I am working on a set of cards, I proceeded with more stamping whilst I waited for my mask to dry. That is the secret the mask should feel just tacky.

The second image stamped in black over the mask.

I was so excited that the masking technique worked I did not pay attention to my stamping and accidentally rocked my block (bit blurry in the photograph). I fully intended to re-stamp and re photograph then I had we had big technical & computer problems - that was one week ago. In the mean time I had to return the borrowed stamp set to my friend. My apologies, I did not get to re-stamp.

After the mask was removed  (again excuse the blurring)
I was at no stage concerned that my original impression was not particularly crisp in the middle because I knew I would be covering it.

Final (blurry result). the third image stamped in black was cut out and mounted on top.


As I am a big believer in the pictures telling the story, I have included the link to a YouTube video by the very talented Melanie Brown from Courtney Lane Designs.  I actually used the same stamp set as Melanie during my week without internet and computer and it worked beautifully.


No comments: